Plum Torte Recipe
September 6, 2017
The plums’ tartness and the sweetness of the cake are great partners. (And it’s very adaptable, so experiment with other fruits if you’re not using plums—berries, peaches, apples and others work beautifully.)
You will need:
- ¾ to 1 cup sugar (adjust the amount to suite your taste)
- ½ cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup sifted unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 24 halves pitted purple plums
- Sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon, for topping
To make the torte,
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream sugar and butter together. Add flour, baking powder, salt and eggs and beat well.
- Spoon batter into a springform pan (8, 9 or 10 inches). Place plum halves skin side up, onto the batter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and lemon juice, as needed for the sweetness of the fruit. Sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, to taste.
- Bake for about 1 hour. Remove and cool to lukewarm and serve plain or with whipped cream. Or cool and then refrigerate or freeze.
Recipe adapted from https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/3783-original-plum-torte